Why is Water so Vital to our Health?
The good news is that when you increase your water intake, you are getting many health benefits that you will start to notice and feel right away.
- Increased energy and brain function- when you are dehydrated, it causes you to feel drained and fatigued. Since water is largely what your blood is comprised of, it’s important to ensure you are consuming a large quantity since your blood carries nutrients, vitamins and electrolytes to your cells. This not only nourishes the body but aids in the health of your cells which affect your energy and brain.
- Weight Management - Often times when you are feeling hungry, you are actually thirsty. Drinking water can satiate you while also increasing your metabolic rate. Based on numerous studies, water consumption increases energy expenditure (calories or kilocalories burned while at complete rest). Also, substituting water for other beverages can help regulate your sugar intake.
- Removes toxins - water can eliminate waste products through your sweat, urine, and bowel movements. By aiding in digestion and constipation, water helps keep you regular which is where a lot of fecal toxins can fester. Toxins get trapped in your digestive system which can cause health issues including IBS, leaky gut, eczema, inflammation and other health problems. The kidney, liver and intestines also use water to flush out waste.
- Upon waking up, immediately drink two glasses of water.
- Set a notification or alarm on your phone every few hours to remind you to drink water. Sticky notes in a visible place work great too!
- Make a goal to drink at least 4 glasses of water before lunch every day. If you fall behind, you can always play catch up.
- Add lemon (which helps alkalize you!) mint leaves or cucumbers to your water to make it more enticing to drink.
Water is crucially important to your health and ensuring proper hydration is a simple health tip that tends to be overlooked at times. Be sure to drink filtered, clean water as much as possible (natural spring water is best) and make it a part of your daily health routine!