Pumpkin Bisque Soup
On a rainy day, this pumpkin bisque soup is a must have. It is thick and creamy and is a great lunch option as the colder days approach. The savory walnut pumpkin seed topping pairs well with the rich, velvety texture of the soup adding a crunch along with protein and fiber. This is a dairy free, vegan soup that will be a festive addition to your thanksgiving table!
- 14.5 ounces pumpkin puree
- 14.5 ounces coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons pink salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Walnut Pumpkin Seed Topping
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Dice red onion and slice carrots into rounds. Peel 4 fresh garlic cloves and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized soup pot on medium high heat and add coconut oil, red onion and carrot rounds to the pot.
- Sauté for about 5 minute or until onion has become translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cover pan allowing the carrots and onion to cook for about 10 minutes or until carrots are cooked through.
- Carefully empty the contents of the pan to a high speed blender adding the pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, peeled garlic cloves and all the spices.
- Blend on medium high speed for about 1 to 2 minutes or until everything has been emulsified and blended together.
- Transfer mixture back into the soup pot and cook on medium high for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk last and cook for another 5 minutes stirring well.
For the topping, heat coconut oil in a small pan on medium low heat and add the walnuts, pumpkin seeds and spices.
Sauté for 5 minutes until walnuts have slightly browned and transfer to a bowl.
Pour the pumpkin bisque into bowls, garnish with the topping and enjoy!